Friday, September 14, 2007

I love free speech, and I hate that I do

After removing a scene involving testicular torture and blurring other graphic depictions of violence, Rockstar games has successfully gotten the rating of Manhunt 2 reduced to M (Mature).

I'm glad that Rockstar is now allowed to sell their product. In fact, I think it sucks that they weren't able to release their game in its original form. After all, the one thing that defines America is our commitment to freedom of speech (most other countries, even in the West, have some form of censorship).

That being said, I played the original Manhunt for about 10 minutes, and was disgusted. I don't understand how anyone could enjoy this game. The premise is simple: you're being hunted for some reason, and the only way to escape your situation alive is by killing the hunters. No great shakes there; it actually sounds like the basis of every other movie Hollywood has ever made. But the Manhunt difference is that when you kill a hunter, the game gives you a brief scene (5-10 seconds) showing your avatar killing the hunter. And it's graphic! One such kill in the original Manhunt involved placing a plastic bag over the hunters head and holding it tight around his neck while he suffocates, thrashing the entire time.

Why in the hell would anyone want to watch this? I mean, if there were some sort of gameplay mechanic where you were grappling with the hunter and this suffocation happened after an intense, interactive struggle, I guess I'd understand the need for the gratuitous violence. But it serves no gameplay purpose. All it does is show you a guy being murdered. Uh, yay?

I love freedom of speech. I really do. But I really wish I didn't, because I would love to be among those raising a hue and a cry against this glorified snuff film of a game.

No comments: